Saturday, October 17, 2009

Happy Deepavali!

I woke up this morning to melodious Deepavali songs and greetings that were played over the radio. The lovely smell of incense got me right out of bed.

Everybody got ready for prayers so right after shower I couldn't wait getting into my lovely pink 'Pavadai'. We headed down to the Kaliamman Temple, Grandma wanted to perform the Gowri Fast prayers here.

After sending grandma home we all headed down to Batu Caves. This year's Deepavali is a special one as it falls on the last Saturday of the puratassi month. The last time this occured was 65 years ago!

I payed homage to the Great Hanuman and prayers at the Saniswaran and Venkatachalapathy Temple. The crowd was greater in number for Deepavali and the puratassi prayers.

Everybody honoring the lord were served with traditional banana leaf vegetarian meal. I had a share from Daddy's serving which was good enough for I dozed off in the car. The next thing I knew it was 4 in the afternoon and aunty had her guests.

We spent the night at my uncle Sarvesh's place. We ate delicacies made by his mom and played firecrackers till late into the night.

The next day, we had a small gathering over lunch at my place. Uncle Sarvesh and his mom and dad came over. After lunch we caught up with some of the Deepavali specials on TV.

No comments: